The trend toward functional medicine practices in healthcare continues unabated. Where traditional medicine diagnoses and treats outward symptoms, functional medicine is directed toward treating patients with a “systems” approach, meaning discovering and treating the core issue that is causing the presenting symptoms. This same trend is also occurring in behavioral healthcare, with holistic approaches becoming an integral part of the addiction treatment planning.
Holistic medicine for heroin addiction has been found to be increasingly important in the overall treatment and recovery continuum. Holistic practices help individuals recovering from heroin addiction to mediate stress, one of the most significant triggers for heroin relapse. Holistic activities and services can be woven into treatment and continuing care plans for an added layer of treatment reinforcement, helping to increase the potential for a long-term sustained recovery.
Why Holistic Medicine for Heroin Addiction is Helpful
Rather than being a separate type of rehab for heroin addiction, holistic medicine simply builds upon conventional treatment methods. Holistic activities and therapies can compliment traditional therapy nicely, helping individuals become more deeply engaged in their recovery efforts. This is due to the way that holistic therapies provide techniques to become more focused on breath work and mindfulness, which helps keep stress in check.
Generally, a recovery program that embraces a holistic approach to addiction recovery will also integrate health and nutrition into the programming. Seeking to treat all aspects of the person, instead of only the addiction diagnosis, the holistic approach will guide the individual toward forming new healthy habits that will reinforce their overall wellness and restore health.
What is Holistic Therapy?
Holistic therapy involves treating the whole person, mind, body, and spirit. The understanding is that addiction doesn’t just happen in a vacuum, so the treatment plan should incorporate activities that benefit all aspects of the individual. The idea is that if one part of us is off, there will be discord or imbalance that affects overall wellness.
Types of holistic medicine for heroin addiction might include:
- Mindfulness training. By training the mind to focus purposefully on the present moment, while also being mindful of the breathing process, it helps the person stop stressing about things that have happened in the past or worrying about the future, which helps reduce stress.
- Acupuncture. This ancient Chinese treatment helps to open up energy pathways that are blocked. With addiction, the practitioner focuses on four points around the ear to help individuals in recovery have a free flowing of energy.
- Massage therapy. A deep relaxation massage can help the body eliminate toxins while relaxing tense muscles and opening up energy flow in the body. It creates a relaxed state, which can help manage stress.
- Meditation. There are several methods of meditation that can be utilized, including guided imagery, prayer, mindfulness, and journaling. All of these help the individual get in touch with their spiritual self, which helps create mental peace and tranquility.
- Yoga. Yoga guides the individual toward achieving specific poses and postures that are designed to produce a calm, serene state of mind. Yoga is also an excellent form of exercise, which helps tone, strengthen, and stretch the muscles.
An Integrated Approach to Heroin Addiction Treatment
When seeking treatment for a heroin addiction, consider a program that incorporates holistic practices in their list of treatment interventions. This helps add an additional layer of therapy that can augment the effects of conventional psychotherapy, which is the core of addiction treatment. Working together, the holistic therapies and the evidence-based psychotherapies address underlying emotional issues, stress management, and thought and behavior patterns.
In addition to these core elements, rehab also provides several other functions. These include 12-step programming, addiction education, relapse prevention planning, teaching of recovery skills, family-focused groups, life skills classes, and medication management if medication-assisted treatment is part of the overall plan.
Recovering from heroin addiction takes time and patience. This means that following completion of a rehab program there needs to be a plan in place for aftercare. Aftercare involves activities that can help reinforce and sustain recovery. These may include:
- Sober living housing
- Outpatient therapy
- 12-step meetings
- Volunteer activities
- Regular exercise, including yoga
- Continued practice of mindfulness
- Nutritious diet
- Cultivating a new sober lifestyle and new sober friendships
Heroin addiction can be treated and overcome using an integrated approach that includes holistic therapies.
Phoenix Rising Addiction Center Offers Effective Outpatient Treatment for Heroin Addiction
Phoenix Rising Addiction Center is an intensive outpatient program (IOP) serving Orange County, CA. Phoenix Rising uses a truly integrated program, including holistic medicine for heroin addiction and evidence-based therapies. Clients are coached in using holistic activities to help promote relaxation and improve stress management. As an added layer of support, Phoenix Rising can arrange for sober living housing to ensure a drug and alcohol-free environment while in treatment and beyond. For more details about the program, please contact Phoenix Rising Addiction Center at (877) 299-5694.