The idea of opening up your heart and soul to a perfect stranger or group of strangers during a counseling session may seem scary. Baring one’s innermost feelings, sharing difficult or embarrassing experiences, or just being vulnerable is not the easiest thing to do—especially since these are people you don’t know from Adam. But the beauty of counseling or group therapy sessions lies in just that; the therapist and other participants don’t know you and will just take you as you are, warts and all. It can actually be quite freeing to not have to live up to any preconceived assumptions about who you are or should be or have been.
Orange County addiction counseling services provide an opportunity to do some important self-examination in the early phase of addiction recovery. As uncomfortable as it may be to reveal your struggles and weaknesses, sharing these with a skilled therapist can act as a launch pad for treatment to become targeted to your unique needs. Each person winds up with the substance use disorder for different reasons. By digging deep and learning new insights, the factors that may have contributed to the addiction can surface and lead to foundational insights that helps clinicians develop an effective treatment focus.
Types of Orange County Addiction Counseling Services
Pairing up the right type of therapy with an individual’s unique addiction and/or mental health needs is essential in unlocking the maladaptive behaviors involved in addiction, and shifting them towards new healthy and productive behaviors. There are several proven evidence-based therapeutic approaches available for a clinician to utilize in helping the client make these necessary positive changes. In most cases, behavioral therapies are most effective for their effectiveness in producing real-time useful changes in behavioral responses to triggers. Therapies used in addiction treatment might include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT)
- Contingency management
- Motivational enhancement therapy (MET)
- Pseudo attachment therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Mindfulness cognitive behavioral therapy (MCBT)
- Family therapy
Rehabs offer counseling services in both individual, or one-on-one, therapy sessions and small group therapy sessions. During individual talk therapy an intimate trust bond is created between the clinician and the client, allowing the client to feel safe in sharing personal pain points that could be triggering the addictive behaviors or coexisting mood disorder symptoms. Group therapy offers a social support aspect to counseling where the participants respond to a prompts by the counselor that leads to sharing and emotional engagement.
Why Counseling is Important in Addiction Treatment
Counseling is the foundation or framework of all reputable addiction treatment programs. Without the therapeutic self-discovery process, the core issues involved in the development of a substance use disorder would never be processed and resolved. Without this important process of working through past traumas or painful events recovery will not be sustainable.
After detox (when detox is necessary) the client will slowly begin to stabilize both mentally and physically, providing an opportunity to engage in therapy in a meaningful way. As the time clean and sober progresses, it becomes easier to examine the factors involved in the addiction and learn new ways to think about the triggers when they occur. Reframing them in a positive, proactive light will lead to a healthy behavioral response. Over time, by practicing these new thought/behavior patterns, these will become engrained as new coping skills.
Continuing Care with Outpatient Orange County Addiction Counseling Services
Recovery is a journey that evolves and strengthens over time. No one completes a rehab program and instantly becomes secure in their new sober lifestyle—that takes time, patience, and purposeful continuing care activities. Some of those continuing care activities might include:
- Sober living. Sober living housing offers an added source of ongoing support in a drug and alcohol-free living environment during and/or following the rehab program. Sober living after rehab helps clients become accustomed to a sober lifestyle and become secure in recovery before transitioning back to regular home life.
- Ongoing counseling sessions. Weekly counseling sessions help clients as they confront challenges in early recovery, and also help reinforce new coping skills and stress-reduction exercises. As clients progress in recovery they may assume they no longer need counseling, but this would be a mistake. However, once recovery is more stable, monthly counseling sessions will suffice.
- 12-step recovery group. Peer support is an important aspect of recovery, and the 12-step groups, such as A.A. or N.A. provide just that. Active participation in a recovery group promotes fellowship and accountability, as well as providing opportunities to serve others.
Phoenix Rising Behavioral Orange County Addiction Counseling Services and Rehab
Phoenix Rising Behavioral is an intensive outpatient program in Orange County, CA that offers an evening track along with the daytime rehab schedule. The counseling program at Phoenix Rising emphasizes CBT, DBT, and pseudo-attachment therapies, as well as life skills support and 12-step programming. Sober living resources are available as well. For more information, please contact Phoenix Rising today at (877) 299-5694.