It is the end of another year—the perfect time to commit to getting help for an alcohol or drug problem. While beginning to make a list of goals for 2019, sobriety should be at the top of that list. What better thing can you do to improve your mental and physical health, to safeguard your career and family life, and to protect your future than to get clean and sober and change your life for the better.
As laudable a goal as addiction recovery is, there is much to consider and plan for prior to taking that important step toward getting treatment. By mentally preparing for rehab you position yourself for succeeding by taking the long view. If you have a strong support system in a stable home environment, have a mild to moderate substance use disorder, and are fully committed to changing your life, outpatient rehab is an excellent option. Take these steps in preparing for rehab to help ensure the best possible long-term recovery outcome.
6 Steps to Take in Preparing for Rehab in an Outpatient Setting
- Shore up support. Most people are blessed with family and friends who care deeply about their wellbeing. The news that you are planning on addressing your substance use disorder will bring much peace to your loved ones. Still, it is important to encourage them to be available for emotional support in the upcoming months, as most people in early recovery do experience challenges to their sobriety. They will likely set up reasonable boundaries and expectations which allows you all to have a clear vision of expectations moving forward.
- Research rehabs. There are abundant options for rehabs, with most treatment programs falling into two camps: inpatient or outpatient. If you are a candidate for outpatient rehab you can home in on the features and philosophies that distinguish the various programs to find the best fit. Call the top choices and inquire about space availability in their program, and gather more details about the rehab before making a final decision.
- Check your insurance benefits. Each person’s healthcare plan will likely differ, with varying limits of treatment benefits available. Some PPO plans may cover all treatment and medications in full, where others will cover just a portion of these costs. Knowing your out of pocket expenses in advance allows you to make a plan for the financial aspects of addiction treatment.
- Talk to your boss. One of the most difficult pre-planning steps is meeting with the boss to inform him or her of your plans to get treatment. Outpatient programs vary in intensity, so the time needed away from work will be dependent on that. Employers are typically able to accommodate a request for a period of part-time employment while an employee obtains these important treatment services.
- Prepare mentally for detox. Most addicts understand that detox and withdrawal is an uncomfortable first step in many cases. If it is determined that detox is necessary prior to beginning treatment, it is helpful to prepare mentally for this. Although unpleasant, withdrawal symptoms can be successfully managed and minimized using various medications, and most people will complete detox in 5-7 days.
- Prioritize life around recovery. Before beginning the outpatient program it is helpful to begin the mental shifting of prioritizing from using drugs or alcohol to putting recovery at the top of the list. Sometimes just thinking through how life in recovery will look, how you will incorporate 12-step meetings and sober lifestyle choices, can pave the way for a successful transition toward making sobriety the top priority in life.
About Outpatient Rehabs
Outpatient addiction treatment programs offer many of the same treatment elements as an inpatient center, but the individual will reside either at home or in sober living while receiving treatment. This flexibility helps individuals continue to engage in daily obligations, such as work and family responsibilities, outside of treatment hours.
Outpatient programs include the following therapeutic activities:
- One-on-one talk therapy
- Group therapy
- 12-step work and meetings
- Medication management
- Life skills
- Acquiring recovery tools and relapse prevention planning
- Holistic activities
Embrace sobriety for the New Year, and for years to come, by putting recovery at the top of your resolutions for 2019.
Phoenix Rising Addiction Center Health Care Provides Comprehensive Outpatient Recovery Services
Phoenix Rising is a leading outpatient addiction treatment provider in Orange County, California. With a focus on individualized treatment, Phoenix Rising creates a customized treatment plan to fit each client’s unique recovery goals. Integrating evidence-based, statistically proven therapies, holistic treatment elements, and Alcoholic’s Anonymous 12-step program, Phoenix Rising offers comprehensive treatment for the best recovery outcome. Phoenix Rising also provides evening outpatient programming and sober living housing resources. For more information about preparing for rehab, please contact Phoenix Rising today at (949) 518-0345.